Legalization is a proof for the document emanating from the authorities of the state or compiled with the assistance of the authorities and consistent with the law of that state. It lies in the authentication of signature of the person signing the document and the seal of the authorized state body.
In accordance with international practice, there is no need for the legalization of passports and substituting documents.
The documents and acts that are contrary to the laws of Turkmenistan or its content may harm the interests of Turkmenistan or contain information discrediting the honor and dignity of citizens, as well as the originals and copies of passports, work books, military cards, identity cards, the ownership of the property, documents that are directly related to commercial or customs operations (accounts, documents on the movement of goods across the border, the agreement for the supply of goods, customs declarations, etc.) are not subject to legalization.
The following procedure should be carried out prior to submitting the documents to the Embassy of Turkmenistan for legalization:
- letter to the Embassy with request to approve your attached documents ;
- original documents, certified by the Swiss Federal Chancellery (Bern);
- copy and Russian translation of the original document, both certified by relevant Canton Notary.
- each document should be certified and legalized separately and sealed properly with a ribbon (as shown in the picture on left side) or, if the document contains more than one page it has to be bent into the upper left corner and sealed on the back of the fold, either Swiss Federal or Cantonal Cancellery (as shown in the picture on right side).
- any corrections in the documents has to be legalized by the Federal Cancellery;
- documents with unfilled places , but intended to be filled (F.ex. dates, names and etc.) are not acceptable ;
The consular fees for legalization of each document is
- 30 Euros (up to 10 working days),
- 50 Euros (up to 3 working days, urgent).
- that the payment should be made only in EURO (not Swiss francs) and only after confirmation (in 24 hours) from the Embassy that Documents are approved to be legalized. Otherwise, the fees are not refundable in case of failure to legalize.
The request of the legalization can be made in person at the Embassy or by post. If applying by post, a self addressed, stamped and pre-paid envelope along with the documents for legalization or duly registered post mail (RECOMMANDE or EINSCHREIBEN) must be enclosed for sending the documents back.
- that no cash, only payment to the Embassy's bank accounts (ask bank account details by e-mail). Please indicate your names while doing a payment.
- that if any of these requirements are not fulfilled, the Embassy reserves the right not to accept the documents for legalization .
In case of loss or delay of a document during mail delivery to the addressee, the Embassy is not responsible, as the request of the applicant is carried out on the basis of his written appeal.